Winery wastewater management and recycling
Recognising that winery wastewater management and recycling are important issues in the grape and wine industry, Wine Australia has commissioned research and communications projects to develop, synthesise and share knowledge about better wastewater management, water reuse and recycling.
There is information available on winery wastewater treatment, recycling the treated water in vineyards, using other sources of recycled water and other forms of discharge.
A key message is that activities in the winery, wastewater treatment plant and vineyard are all interlinked. What happens in one will affect the others. Cost-effective operations require an integrated approach involving:
- Wineries – cleaner production to improve profit and reduce treatment requirements
- Wastewater treatment plants – ‘fit for purpose’ treatment to contain costs and optimise recycling
- Vineyards – recycling treated water as a secure irrigation supply and to reduce environmental risks.
A range of information products are available from the communications project.
- Information products – a summary of the project and information products available: Product List
- Key principles for wineries – additional overview information for in the winery
- Key principles for vineyards – additional overview information for in the vineyard.
- Business Fundamentals – a booklet highlighting the business issues associated with winery wastewater management and the key principles to govern its management in the winery, treatment plant and vineyard.
- Operational Guidelines – a technical reference explaining key principles and providing directions to other sources of information and expertise.
- Resource Kit – an easy to navigate electronic library of reports, factsheets, case studies and spreadsheet calculators. The kit may be accessed live from this page or downloaded as a ZIP file to be saved onto a computer for immediate use when internet access is not available.
Access the Online Resource Kit
For hard copies of any of the communication products or any queries about related seminars and training workshops, contact GWRDC: email@example.com
The Australian Wine Research Institute (AWRI) has developed a training package based on the Operational Guidelines. For more information about training options, contact AWRI at: firstname.lastname@example.org